5.8.08

Forgotten

It's funny everytime I sit down and write something about the trip or talk with someone about it I seem to come away and think of a million more important things that I should have said.
Even with the 4 blog entries I've written, I still managed to leave out really huge things. I didn't even mention Charles and Tina the couple from Fiji that we worked closely with and came to love dearly. They do so much for other people. They have 12 of the deaf boys live with them in their home and Tina works at the Gospel School for the Deaf. Charles is the face of WOL in Fiji and he is also the paster at Raiwai Gospel Chapel. They are just an amazing couple who live such sacrificial lives. They had a big impact on each one of us.

I also totally left out the major dramas that we encountered. Firstly all our food and sound gear that was flown over earlier was held up in customs. They were demanding a ridiculous amount of cash to release it, we got it out 4 days after we arrived for a lot less than they originially wanted. Then when we got through customs ourselves I realised that some of the kids had only been given 14 days in the country - and we were meant to be there for 20! Thankfully this was also sorted out (eventually).

Huddy also ended up in hospital one night. They jabbed him in the butt a couple of times and then sent him home.

All these things were teaching us to rely on God and to pray and talk to him in everything we did. It was a valuable lesson. We saw many many prayers answered. From big things, to the small. They all mattered to God.

I also made some amazing new friends on the trip. We were paired up with a couple of the teens on the team, to mentor and encourage. Tom mentioned that they prayed about who to match up and I think that was really wise. I was pretty stoked with my girls! (Loved all of them, but Charleen and Beth were pretty special). Also all of us leaders really got on well together. Cath, the other chick leader was really awesome. We were roomies while we were in Suva. She was a great encouragement to me. There were 2 other big city kids on the team, Lyndon and Jared. We really clicked and spent a lot of time having good as conversations. I even held their hands!

No comments: